Welcome

Here's to the experience of recovering from surgery. I'll keep you all informed of my progress and what I hope is an entertaining journey for all of us.







Sunday, September 26, 2010

Prison Break!

The prison walls had a chink in them today and the prisoner sneaked through. This morning I got in the car -- in the driver's seat of my little Cube --and left the house by myself.  Waved goodbye to Glenn and zipped out of the driveway.  I was only going two blocks to church, but it was like a great road trip to me.  I was wearing my Frankenstein walking boot and had my walker in the back seat, but in my mind I was in Easy Rider headed to New Orleans on a motorcycle with Peter Fonda.  

When I got to the church parking lot, I thought about breezing right on by and going someplace REALLY exciting.  If not New Orleans, maybe at least to Target or even Trader Joe's. Unfortunately, I was scheduled to man the welcome desk, so I went to church.  I used my walker to get to the last pew where I plopped down and stubbornly refused to stand for anything.   Somehow, my reputation as a rebel was sullied by the fact I was had my foot propped up on the walker most of the time.  Gives you a waiver on normal church behavior. 

When I got back, Glenn was gone.  He used the break from taking care of me to go to the hardware store.  Another Easy Rider with a lack of imagination! 

The Burriers brought dinner tonight so we had food AND entertainment (and I got good advice).  Nurse Glenn was making aside comments on how he has to do everything for me.  Even though it is true, I felt insulted, so I snippily reminded him that I had made dinner twice this week.  Thank goodnes, Katy stopped me before I got too far down that path....don't mess with the caregiver while you still need him.  Great advice.  I need him to unfold my bed, fill my electric ice bucket, haul me to the doctor tomorrow and do a hundred little things everyday. 

Until I'm able to jail break for real and make it across country, I'd better continue to appreciate Nurse Glenn, loudly and often.

No comments:

Post a Comment